Now if you’re a Dallas Stars fan, you know that this season was a nightmare. The team went from being the Central Conference Champions in the 2015/16 season to not even being close to making the playoffs. However, if you’ve kept a close eye on Jim Nill this offseason, you’ll know that he’s working to make sure that won’t happen again. From replacing Lindy Ruff to signing Ben Bishop, things are looking good for the Stars this upcoming season.
Jim Nill’s big moves this offseason; the breakdown:
- Ken Hitchcock comes back to the Dallas Stars 15 years after he was fired, he led Dallas to its only Stanley Cup win in franchise history.
- Ben Bishop signs a six-year $29.5 million dollar deal
- Dallas receives the third overall pick in the 2017 NHL Draft, drafts (D) Miro Heiskanen and trades up for (G) Jake Oettinger
- Stars place Antti Niemi on waivers, buy him out of his contract
- Stars acquire Marc Methot from the Vegas Golden Knights
- Free Agent Frenzy: Stars sign Tyler Pitlick to a three-year contract worth $3 million, Brian Flynn to a one-year contract (two-way contract), Martin Hanzel to a three-year contract worth $14.25 million, Mike McKenna to a one-year contract (two-way contract) and Brent Regner to a one-year contract (two-way contract) on July 1st
- Dallas re-signs Patrik Nemeth to a one-year contract worth $945,000
- JUST ANNOUNCED: Stars sign Alexander Radulov to a five-year contract worth $31.25 million
Although the team is not in a rebuild year per say, it’s obvious that Jim Nill is out to make his team the best that it can be. Now we can only wait and see how good (or bad) Dallas is going to be this upcoming season. As a Stars fan, I hope they’re playoff contention worthy.
Free Agent Frenzy losses:
- Patrick Sharp signs with the Chicago Blackhawks
- Antti Niemi signs with the Pittsburgh Penguins
- Ales Hemsky signs with the Montreal Canadiens